Prep Time: 20 min
Chia Pizza with Szechuan Pineapple and Tomato
For the Base
- 350g plain flour
- 40g chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons bi-carb soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 260g warm water
- 10g semolina (to dust trays)
- 15g olive oil
- 120g onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g can tinned diced tomatoes
- 5g salt
- 2g vegemite
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 200g water
- 10g fresh ginger
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1/2 teaspoon whole Szechuan pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- juice of half a lime
- 300g mozzarella (or non-dairy cheese of your choice)
For the base.
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Combine flour, chia, bi-carb soda and salt in a bowl. Pour in the oil and warm water and mix together.
3. Turn out the mixture onto a clean, floured surface and knead until the dough forms (about 2 minutes).
4. Use a floured rolling pin to make 2, 28cm circles from the dough.
5. Dust pizza trays with semolina and place the dough on the tray, pinching the edges to form a crust.
6. Bake pizza bases for 12 minutes, or until the base looks dry.
For the sauce
1. Heat the olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until translucent.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and vegemite, and cook on medium heat until thick.
For the spiced pineapple
1. In a saucepan, bring the water, ginger, lemongrass pepper and peppercorn to the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the lime juice. Pour over the pineapple and leave to cool.
2. Assemble the pizza on the cooked pizza base. Spread the tomato sauce, mozzarella, finishing with well-drained pineapple chunks.
3. Put back in the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden.